The Bon Secours Maryview Center for Physical Rehabilitation
The Bon Secours Maryview Center for Physical Rehabilitation is a state of the art inpatient physical rehabilitation unit dedicated to serving adults who have suffered debilitating injury or illness who are in need of hospital based, comprehensive physical, medical and/or cognitive rehabilitation.
Individuals disabled by an illness or injury, of recent onset or
regression, face difficult adjustments and major lifestyle changes that
often go beyond physical limitation. The staff at the Bon Secours Maryview
Center for Physical Rehabilitation is here for you during this difficult
time. Our expertise, compassion, and dedication to those we serve set us
apart from the average rehabilitation setting. Our comprehensive
rehabilitation program places emphases on each patient’s abilities
rather than disabilities. It is our goal to help each patient and
family gain the confidence needed to achieve their maximum level of
functional independence and return to the lives they treasure.
Our patients are those who are in need of hospital based comprehensive physical, medical and/or cognitive rehabilitation. Individualized treatment and education are provided for, but are not limited to the following conditions:
- Brain Injury
- Degenerative Neuromuscular Disorders like Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Huntington’s Chorea, Multiple Sclerosis (MS), and Parkinson’s Disease
- Multiple Trauma
- Neurological Disorders: such as strokes, brain tumors or injury
- Orthopedic Conditions
- Spinal Cord Injury/Disorders
We cannot treat patients who need active chemotherapy, telemetry, or ventilator support. And all patients must be adults to be admitted.
Our large and open gymnasium, heated aquatic therapy pool and private patient rooms are ideal settings for many types physical and occupational therapy techniques. The mobility court yard and fully furnished activities of daily living apartment provide the opportunity for patients and families to test their mobility and daily living skills in a safe supervised environment. Under the supervision of our full time Medical Director, each patient participates in a daily schedule of one-on-one therapy; group treatment; community re-entry; patient & family education, training and support groups; along with other goal-directed activities. Our program is designed specifically to maximize the abilities and esteem of the patient and family and foster a healthy reintegration into the community.
The Bon Secours Maryview Center for Physical Rehabilitation (or ARU) features 25 private patient rooms, therapeutic pool and a fully furnished gym area filled with state-of-the-art equipment including Lite Gait and Sarah Lift. An activities of daily living (ADL) apartment is also available to help simulate the challenges of a home environment. There, patients and families can practice skills learned during their rehabilitation stay. An outdoor mobility courtyard allows patients to practice walking on different surfaces, getting in and out of a car, and even swinging their golf club in the courtyard.
Our comprehensive program features a full complement of intensive
rehabilitation services utilizing the latest techniques and
state-of-the-art technology. Our team recognizes that no two people
will face an injury, illness, or the process of aging in exactly the
To facilitate restoring each patient to his/her maximum level of physical, cognitive and functional independence the interdisciplinary team includes the following health care providers: Medical Director, Clinical Psychologist, Certified Rehabilitation Nurses, Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists. Speech-Language Pathologists, Social Workers, Therapeutic Recreation Specialist, Orthotics & Prosthetic Consultants, and a Clinical Dietitian.
Our highly trained teams of professionals provide a variety of specialty treatment programs and rehabilitation techniques including:
- Neuro-Developmental Treatment
- Vestibular Rehabilitation
- Aquatic Therapy
- Kinesio Taping
- Community Reintegration
We also offer a series of speciality clinical and educational programs on moving forward after stroke, lower extremity amputation, spinal cord injury, and brain injury.
the rehabilitation process
The sudden loss of simple motor function due to an illness or accident can be very traumatic. At Bon Secours Maryview Physical Rehabilitation Center, each patient receives at least three hours of therapy per day at a minimum of 5 days per week. The rehabilitation process is a combination of assessment, treatment, education and follow-up. It focuses on the physical as well as emotional and spiritual needs of the patient and family. Upon admission, each patient receives a comprehensive evaluation that takes into consideration his or her medical history, current medical status and lifestyle. The results of the evaluation, along with the patient’s personal goals, are used to create an individualized treatment plan.
Common functional limitations associated with a disabling injury and/or illnesses that may benefit from intensive inpatient rehabilitation include:
- Difficulty with balance and coordination
- Limited motion or lack of strength in arms, legs, trunk
- Hardship transferring: moving from one surface to another
- Mobility issues: walking, wheelchair mobility
- Struggles with self-care: bathing, dressing, grooming, toileting, homemaking
- Inability to safely swallow
- Communication difficulty: speech/language problems and/or cognitive/perceptual deficits in conjunction with physical limitations
The Bon Secours Maryview Center for Physical Rehabilitation features a full complement of intensive rehabilitation services, including the latest rehab techniques, state-of-the-art technology and a highly-trained team of professionals, to help patients recover their independence.
Our center's rehabilitation features include:
- Aquatic Therapy Pool
- Car Transfer Simulator
- Community Reintegration Van
- Fully Furnished Activities of Daily Living Apartment - simulation of home environment
- LiteGait System
- Mobility Court Yard - simulation of community setting
- Sara Lift
- Weight/Pulley System
Referrals to this program are accepted from health care professionals, patients and their families. There are certain requirements, set by the Centers of Medicare & Medicaid Services, that patients must meet in order to qualify for our services. These include:
- Services must be reasonable & necessary. The patient must require an intensive and coordinated interdisciplinary approach to providing rehabilitation.
- The patient must require physician supervision. A minimum of three face-to-face visits per week to assess both medical & functional needs and modify the course of treatment as needed.
- The patient must require the active and ongoing therapeutic intervention of multiple therapy disciplines: physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech-language pathology. (One therapy discipline must be physical or occupational therapy.)
- The patient must be able to tolerate a relatively intense interdisciplinary therapy program: 3 hours of therapy per day, no less than 5 days a week.
- The patient must reasonably be expected to actively participate in the intensive rehabilitation therapy program upon admission and capable of practical measurable improvement within a prescribed period.
Following a referral, a pre-admission assessment is arranged and completed at no charge. Patients can be accepted from any location without a prior three-day acute hospital stay. To request a pre-admission evaluation, please call Beth Noia, Community Relations Manager at (757) 398-4170.
Bon Secours Maryview Center for Physical Rehabilitation
3636 High Street
Portsmouth, VA 23707
+ map and directions